Grandparents can Complicate Alabama Divorce Cases

Posted by Steven D. Eversole | May 12, 2011 | 0 Comments

One of the biggest problems for couples going through a divorce involving children is the interference of in-laws because of their connection to the children, according to the syndicated advice column Ex-Etiquette for Parents.

Alabama divorce and family law attorneys will be there to help you through every step of the process, which is often painful and emotionally draining for the spouses, children and in-laws.

The column starts with a question from a grandparent "in the middle of" their son's divorce, asking for advice on how to deal with anger toward their ex-daughter-in-law and how to help the son and grandchildren.


The experts suggest that the grandparents be willing to help with the kids if asked, but not to insert themselves in the divorce proceedings. And while support during a divorce is crucial, relatives shouldn't be quick to overstep their bounds in trying to help in such a tough situation.

While relatives often have strong feelings about a divorce, especially in cases where children are involved and can be subject to an awkward family life as a result, counseling may be appropriate, the columnist advise. The columnists suggest that relatives not say anything negative about the divorce to the children because it can affect their views of their parents and the relatives making derogatory statements.

In Alabama, custody and visitation can be tricky to work out. The state has three forms of custody: temporary, legal and physical. Courts prefer joint custody so that both parents are making decisions for their children. In Alabama, children become a ward of the court upon a divorce being filed. Collaborative divorce and divorce mediation allows parents to make decisions about child custody. And like any divorce involving kids, child support and alimony in Alabama may be an issue, so choose your attorney wisely.

But the good news is that a proposed law in Alabama would require equal custody in most divorce cases, as revealed in "Law Would Award Joint Custody in Most Alabama Child Custody Cases."

Grandparents do have rights. In some cases, a grandparent has been a primary caregiver for a child and may also have a say in how custody and visitation arrangements are handled.

If you need to speak with a divorce attorney in Birmingham, contact Steven D. Eversole at 205-981-2450 for a free consultation.

Tweet Like Email LinkedIn Google Plus

About the Author

Steven D. Eversole

J.D., Samford University's Cumberland School of Law, Birmingham, Alabama B.A., University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Alabama


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment