The Alabama Rules provide the following non-inclusive list of reasons for deviating from the child support guidelines:
- Shared physical custody or visitation rights for periods of physical custody or care of children is substantially in excess of those customarily approved.
- Extraordinary costs of transportation for purposes of visitation borne substantially by one parent.
- Expenses of college education incurred prior to a child reaching the age of majority.
- Assets or, or unearned income received by or on the behalf of, a child.
- Such other facts or circumstances that the court finds contribute to the best interest of the child for whom support is being determined. A.R.J.A., Rule 32(A)(1)(e).
The existence of any factor above does not require the court to deviate from the guidelines, but may be considered by the court in doing so. Furthermore, the court may deviate from the guidelines even without any of the above factors as well.